The Philadelphia Youth Jazz Orchestra (PYJO), a new program division of the Philadelphia Youth Orchestra Music Institute under the direction of Justin Faulkner, creates a unique opportunity for students to explore the origins of the American contribution to the sonic history of the world. This program provides advanced instrumental student access to intense training, music, personal and social development, and performance opportunities featuring classic repertoire from the golden age of the quintessential jazz orchestra and big band format.
This program provides advanced instrumental student access to intense training, music, personal and social development, and performance opportunities featuring classic repertoire from the golden age of the quintessential jazz orchestra and big band format. In addition to musical advancement, members will develop situational awareness, social skills, and the building of character traits such as discipline, teamwork, trust, and determination.
Philadelphia Youth Jazz Orchestra offers:
- the opportunity to work with highly experienced professional conductors, world-renown musicians, and educators; to develop a relationship with the origins of the American sound and perform in the premiere performance venues in the Philadelphia region.
- Philadelphia Youth Jazz Orchestra offers instrumental music training for technically advanced wind, brass, and rhythm section students, focusing on developing musicianship and professional-level jazz orchestra performance skills.
- In addition, there is advanced instrumental training through master classes, ensemble, and sectional rehearsals with leading expert educators and musicians.
- Access to advanced but, most importantly, classic jazz orchestra literature through rehearsal and performance.
- There will be many opportunities for students to showcase their collective talents at professional concert venues such as Verizon Hall at The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, one of the world’s great concert halls, and The Philadelphia Orchestra’s home.
- It is a platform for students to develop their collegiate and conservatory application qualifications and learn about existing pathways to careers in the music industry outside of teaching and performing.
- Mentorship and volunteer opportunities with students in other program divisions of the Institute.
- An investment in each student’s future through the development of diligence, responsibility, and personal commitment to excellence — all lessons that have a lasting impact on a student’s character and future success.
PYJO rehearsals take place on Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., October 13, 2022 through June 1, 2023, at St. Patrick Hall (240 S 20th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
To learn more about the Philadelphia Youth Jazz Orchestra, visit Philadelphia Youth Orchestra Music Institute’s website: https://pyomusic.org/ensembles/philadelphia-youth-jazz-orchestra